4.02.2012

Rough Terrain

Here are some shots of my cousin Monika I took this weekend that I'm considering entering into Show & Tell's April photo challenge.

Hey Mormons! Wasn't Conference great? I actually got horribly sick on Saturday and lucidly fell in and out of sleep while Seve kindly streamed the first sessions on his laptop for me. Sunday I kicked myself out of bed and joined some family for the last session, a decision I both do and don't regret. Let's just say I've tucked myself back into bed now.

Elder Evans talk really touched me. The bit about keeping the sharing of the gospel to normal and natural circumstances, and not, you know, being . . . obnoxious about it? I have a hard time talking about my faith with others, even fellow members. I'm not sure why; I know I have a testimony and I'm proud of the decisions I've made in life, and therefore shouldn't feel awkward or ashamed about sharing them, but whenever confronted with a fellow member who is doubting or a stranger who is curious, I close up. Words escape me. I don't even know where to begin; I become consumed with this fear that I'm going to offend or weird out the person I'm talking to.

It's not just my faith, though. Goodness, I can't even talk about photography with people for fear of sounding like a know-it-all. What makes you feel this way?

Anyway, I admire those of you who can speak of the gospel so articulately and eloquently, and recognize how to normally and naturally bring it up, because religion is rarely ever easy territory.

4 comments:

  1. It's kind of hard for me too, because I worry I sound obnoxious when really all that needs to be said is the gospel has made me so happy.

    These photos are beautiful, especially the second one. What are the little spots behind her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that I don't sound obnoxious when I share the gospel, but I usually just end up sharing it as part of my life -- because it IS part of my life. It's really hard for me to bring up religion with my nonmember co-workers and even bring up things that I do (like attending baptisms, going to temple weddings, etc.) because I don't want to rub it in their faces. Oh, well. I think it's a delicate line for anybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sexy and I know it.

    ReplyDelete