9.13.2012

Twin Falls

When Seve first came to me with the those two words, Twin Falls, I didn't think much of it. We had tossed around two-word cities before; Virginia City, San Francisco, Las Vegas. I found the one word cities more exciting, like Memphis or Baltimore, because they were new, in the east or south where our palettes had never tasted before. But each word we uttered, whether single or in pairs, resulted in an empty interview and false hopes for the future. So we taught ourselves to stop hoping, and just wait. The right word would come. And we were perfectly happy and prepared to stick around in our current one word, Portland.

But two weeks ago those two words came rushing forward and swept us up in a whirlwind move that had us packed and taking off before I even realized what was happening. Now, here we suddenly are - a new apartment, all the boxes finally unpacked (or hiding in closets) and surrounded by that dry wind I only know in Idaho. Never did I think we'd end up back here, and we know it's only another pitstop in the roadtrip of teaching and grad school and more babies and all those dreams coming true we have for ourselves, but who knows? Maybe Idaho's swallowed us up after all.

Sorry I haven't posted in such a long time, or commented on your posts. Between my Aunt Valerie's funeral, a family trip to Texas, and the move to Twin Falls, my feet are only now just finding the ground, much less my fingers finding a keyboard.

In other news . . . how about that new Cat Power album? And that St. Vincent & David Byrne collaboration that came out two days ago? My ears couldn't be happier.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new job and home! Idaho is tolerable, I'm just sad I procrastinated seeing you when you were so close. But my parents reside in Burley, so maybe I'll pit stop in Twin Falls...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jules! Yay for Idaho :) I knew you secretly loved that place

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so excited for you guys! That in between time of school, jobs, and school, or whatever is tough (at least for us) so It's wonderful to hear you guys are finding your path! Good luck!

    PS- Did Seve tell you he called me a few months ago? I was like hey! Seve is calling? cool!..."Mom?" ...nope, this is Mallory....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see you're back! And congrats on the job! I really love Idaho, but of course, I'm biased. Twin Falls is a cool place, though.

    ReplyDelete