9.19.2012

The Haunted Man

This move has taken me to a place I haven't been in a long time: feeling alone. We knew when we left Rexburg we'd be leaving all our friends behind and would have to start fresh, but during Seve's student teaching we had all those other student teachers to hang out with, and Portland was abundant with family.

In our new home I only see Seve early in the morning and late at night, since he stays late for all that drama he's teaching. His first play as a new teacher: Wit. He's worried about the pelvic exam scene. He and the town's other high school drama teacher are also considering a collaboration on a joint musical, Urinetown.

So Simon and I are left to our own devices all day long. This is what I thought I was waiting for, this is what I thought I wanted for years. To simply be home with my baby, but goodness, I find it very lonely. Simon is wonderful, but his conversation capacities are limited at the moment.

To keep my spirits up, I've created a writing nook where this apartment's fireplace used to be. I bought a cork board where I post all of my ideas and visual inspiration so I can keep myself grounded in my writing and not drift into depression. My desk fits perfectly into the nook and I write for about 2-3 hours each day during Simon's naps.

But sometimes it's not enough. I need some girlfriends, stat. And if I could choose, I'd like some weirdos like me. Who like the dark and the feminine, who are excited for Bat For Lashes' new album The Haunted Man, who will start a book club and read something other than Tuesdays with Morrie. It'd be nice if they had babies, too. But who am I to be picky?

11 comments:

  1. Hey Jules, I hear ya. I have lots of time to work on big projects I've had on my mind for years, and everything else is falling into place well, but the personal life is slow going. I'd love to join your book/writing club...long distance :) I'm not totally your kind of weirdo, but I can guarantee I'm a weirdo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I be your friend? Do Mom's count? I remember those years of being home with a non-talking baby very well. But, look at me now, my grown babies are my best friends!! It gets better with time, I promise. And I'll be there to visit soon! I can't wait to see you. We will have SO much fun!
    Let's go see Mickey, let's go see Donald . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always find it refreshing when someone admits what being a stay-at-home mom can really be like: lonely and little boring.
    I started designing baby onesies because I was so bored. Tote bags next... I call it "developing new talents" instead of "warding off boredom"

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are loved, but then you already know that. We all wish we could be there to help you over this lonely patch. Problem is when we leave you're alone again. This too shall pass. Times and seasons, Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I MISSSSSSYYYYYYOOOOOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

    I wanna be your friend! Like, in a living in the same town kind of way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad! If I lived anywhere near you, I would hang out with you! I think you rock. And you're one seriously cool mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Which is why I insist on working and school. But that's not for everyone. Maybe you could be a volunteer for Seve's plays: designing and creating background stuff and costumes, taking pictures, etc.? I dunno.
    I would say go to mommy-and-me play groups to meet people, but I hate those kind of things so I don't really recommend them. Twin Falls is a difficult location to get started up at, but people seem to really like it there after a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can always come see us in Richland. I think I may fit the bill.

    Also, here's my preachy unsolicited advice:

    Visiting Teaching. Do it. Harass your Relief Society President till you have a humdinger of a route and a basket case of a companion. By this, I mean you feel like you're visiting stalking rather than visiting teaching. Do it every week, at least three times a week--harass your companion to come with you, harass your visiting teachee victims to let you and your plate of cookies through their door. Harass in that nice little quiet Mormon girl way we came to know and love in the magic land of Rexburg.

    Keep at it. Even if they never return your phone calls or answer your letters and slam the door in your face when you drop by at random, you will find yourself feeling less lonely. Seriously. It doesn't make any sense. I had a girl I visit stalked for THREE YEARS. I had maybe 4 face-to-face conversations with her. But I wrote to her, I prayed to her, I dropped flowers off at mother's day and cookies off at Christmas, and eventually, even though I never got to actually have a social little visit, I felt like I knew her. THe same goes for all the other people--young mommies and old ladies, Stake President Sisters and Apostates--on my route. I had a network, and in it there was love and belonging.

    It's hard to quantify, but I can promise it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S.-I totally second the novel writing time. As a homeschooling SAHM with a kindergartner, I tell you, you are living in the golden age of writing time. Even as my baby naps, the other two need bribes to "give mommy her quiet writing time--I get a precious 30-60 minutes a day, and I've had to learn to become brutally efficient and productive.

    ReplyDelete