12.12.2011

O Henry

Seve and I really love the name Henry. We talk about using it for another boy, but the name has risen so quickly in popularity that I'd rather not use it anymore. I don't want my son to have to suffer through being one of 8 kids who turns around every time their name is hollered down a hallway. I know the feeling because my real name isn't Jules, it's one of those hallway multiple-head turners. To the question "what's in a name? Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet?" I say no, because my life changed the day I started going by Jules. I was suddenly less forgettable, suddenly thought of as quirky and cool, suddenly taken more seriously in job interviews. This rose smelled sweeter once it changed its name.

On the other hand, we plan to stay away from names that are too unique. Seve is named such because he is his father's seventh son, but everyone just seems to think he's a Steve who consistently forgets his "t."

I just finished a book for my Harlequin Teen Reader Panel about a modern day twist on Greek mythology where the dark and mysterious Hades is now the dark and modern Henry. Is anyone else a closet YA fan?  After a long session with Mr. Franzen I like to balance the weight by wrapping myself in a more frilly read, but lately my YA has just been so much fun I don't care to read anything else. I'm trying to more readily embrace my guilty pleasures by eliminating their guilt and just reveling in their pleasure, and I regret not joining some club or group earlier in my youth that celebrates the "issue" novel and has My So-Called Life marathons. Anyone care to start a club? You-know-what is on Instant Queue.

3 comments:

  1. Andrew and I love the name Henry, too. I hate that it is so popular now, because that also turns me off from it. And I LOVE YA novels! You should check out books by Donna Jo Napoli, if you haven't already. She's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came out about my YA love a while ago. No shame, girl. You were just born this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you're little guy is wearing a cute shirt ;) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete