12.02.2011

I don't have Instagram, I have Vignette for Android

There are so many things I've been excited to blog about: the Christmas tree farm and the beautiful tree we got, Simon's first visit to Santa, the ugly sweater party we had last night, the possible places we could be moving for Seve's new job . . . there's just so much and I'm too overwhelmed to document it all, but you know, in a good way.

Growing up, I was a total Scrooge when it came to Christmas. I hated winter and missed the fall, I hated the combo of red and green, I hated carols, I hated Jingle All The Way . . . I hated what I called "Santa Christmas" and was "that girl" when it came to complaining about the real "reason for the season." I promised myself that no kid of mine was going to grow up with Santa, at all. It was the semester I spent abroad in China that changed my mind. Aside from already missing family, the roommates I had loved all things Christmas and built a fireplace out of construction paper and hung stockings for each of us when the season rolled around. It was so . . . magical, I don't know. There was plenty of "Santa Christmas" in China (Wham's Last Christmas played in every shop we went into), so it wasn't missing its absence that changed my mind about it. I think I just finally came into my own during that time and lost some of my uptight-ness. Anyway, having a family now makes Christmas that much more magical as I can't wait to share it all with Simon. Santa and all.

2 comments:

  1. I love your photos! And I'm glad you're excited about Christmas again. Actually, in college I got less excited about Christmas because there was no point in putting up a tree or hanging decorations if you were just going to go home. It just seemed so empty without the normal trimmings.

    And yes, the anticipation does have to do with a job offer -- even though I love my current job and was not expecting this opportunity at all. I'll let you know as soon as I find out! :) Sorry for the huge comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie recently discovered the Santa-truth. She's mad that she's been lied to and that "everyone's in on it."

    I wanted to skip Santa, but everyone called me a party pooper; guess I knew Julie before I knew her.

    ReplyDelete