12.14.2011

Baby It's Weird Outside

Sometimes I just want safe things. Safe like Old Navy, Starbucks, or shows on the CW. Safe, normal, acceptable things. My nephew's football games, Green Eggs & Ham, Pottery Barn. Acoustic songs by heartbroken British men.Things that, for whatever reason, I've considered safe and normal ever since I was a kid. Things I felt I had to like in order to be liked and well received.

But sometimes I want dark and weird. Edgar Allan Poe dark and Tom Waits weird. Witch Baby from the Weetzie Bat series, Rei Kawakubo dresses, bad quality lomo photos with the flash on, lipstick that's too dark. And wolves. Gosh dang I love wolves.

After admitting YA as a guilty pleasure in my previous post, I'd like to now admit that I prefer the creepy things to the normal things. Though, uh, those of you who know me well probably already knew that.

What are your guilty pleasures?

3 comments:

  1. i love the weetzie bat books!! i desperately wanted to be like weetzie bat when i was in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TINY BABY SIMON STOCKING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya on the "safe" bit. Ever since getting married I'd say I've started leaning towards safe. I'm more of a surrealist hippie at heart. keep weird alive!

    Security word to post this comment: peehe
    Definition: when it tickles when you tinkle

    ReplyDelete