2.20.2012

Why you don't have to capitalize your "i's" to be a good writer

Simon and my cousin Monika playing peek-a-boo.

I'd like to thank you all for your kind and meaningful comments on last Monday's post - it's led me to write this current post, which was something I never thought I'd do for fear of offending somebody.

Several months ago, I set up a folder in my Reader called "The Bloggernacle" where I started to follow all the major Mormon blogs I was aware of to see what all the fuss was about. I ended up unfollowing the majority of them; I simply couldn't relate to the writing and I just couldn't stand to see another bold-on-bold clothing combo (ladies, please pair your jewel-toned tights with neutrals).

It was easy for me to dismiss the frequent grammar and spelling errors I saw as vapid, but one blogger in particular stood out. Readers would comment on what a wonderful writer she was, and I just couldn't believe it. But I soon realized readers weren't referring to her unapologetic crusade to never capitalize her "i's," but how easy she was to relate to. She struck a chord with her readers by writing very honestly and openly. This realization didn't dismiss her musings from sounding naïve, but rather, allowed me to view them as simply beautiful and kind - and funny! I began to care for her as a person and enjoyed following her blog and keeping up with her daily thoughts.

Anyway, this blogger did more than open me up to her - she opened me up to being less judgey, and to appreciate a life with less snark. She was, is, a good writer for the simple talent of being able to get her points across. And it's her points that keep me coming back.

I'd also like to add that it's all right to write the way you speak. I've thrown in enough "GAH!'s" and "OMG!'s" into my writing to make it inexcusable for me to point the finger at anybody. Because, come on: these are blogs, not the Next Great Novel. So. You know. It's okay.

4 comments:

  1. LIKE. Although, I'll admit, I do think that part of being a great writer is learning how to punctuate and spell properly. But, like you said, these are blogs, not Hemingway novels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. New game: Achoo...Peekaboo is dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'm terrible writer and probably have horrible grammar. I often worry about it, and what others will think. But you made a good point it's just a blog and I need to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I one-plussed this.

    ReplyDelete