7.05.2011

So much past inside my present


I love the ad agency I work at with all my heart.

I am a copywriter. When most people ask what I do for a living and I respond with this, they assume I'm referring to legal copyright and that I somehow spend all my time with the © symbol.

"Copy" basically refers to the text on print ads, brochures, television/radio scripts, etc. It's the words to back up the visuals in advertising; the "Just Do It" to the Nike swoosh, the snarky "Lather, Rinse, Luxuriate, Repeat," on the back of a shampoo bottle. A copywriter is the person who replaces the "lorem ipsum" with real content when a graphic designer sends them an ad, or we send them the copy and they use that to create a visual. A copywriter, as the name suggests, writes copy.

Seve and I will be moving soon. He'll be graduating, I'll be leaving my job, we'll be having a baby. My title of breadwinner will be transferred to him, and my title of copywriter will disappear for the time being.

Though I deal with copy everyday, I can't find the words to explain how much I'm going to miss my job and the people I work with. Watching new projects bloom and relationships form with new clients is hard to swallow because I know I won't be part of it all in a month's time. As excited as I am to move with Seve, to be a mother, to start something new, I can't help but feel that a very significant part of my life is withering away, and I'm already mourning its loss.

2 comments:

  1. How sad! I felt that way when I graduated from college and was no longer in charge of the Scroll. It's an incredible sense of loss when you have to leave a job that you've absolutely loved -- even when you knew it wouldn't be permanent.

    Good luck to you and Seve! The nice thing about being a writer is that you can do it anywhere. I'm sure you'll find another job/opportunity that's just as great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hate that bittersweet feeling. i've never written copy before, but we're getting ready to move on from our beloved little store and it's hard to leave a job you're good at! good luck in the transition, jules. i'm sure you'll handle it with grace and poise.

    ReplyDelete