7.16.2010

H-E-L-P

In the vein of artists I enjoy, here's my other love: Annie Clark of St. Vincent. Natasha and Annie speak such love to my heart; we three could start a little love nest and I'd be content the rest of my days.

Annie's music is quirky (LOVE) and all the more heightened by her multi-instrumental tunes, bringing in woodwinds and brass to accompany her talky-vocals and sometimes pretty, sometimes eat-your-face guitar. She composed the tracks from her recent album, Actor, by pretending they were the backing soundtrack to some of her favorite films, such as Bad Lands and The Wizard of Oz.

In fact, I'm quite convinced her song Marrow is about the Tin Man. The lyrics include references to being in a locked state, but being able to sense your muscle connected to bone, and your ire; and the request that "Honey, can you reach the spot that needs oiling and fixing?"

In the chorus she spells out the letters to "help me," which to me sounds like a frozen man barely whispering a plea through rusted lips, and after years and years, he's only able to mumble letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment