9.12.2011

S + J

The move to Boise has been busy busy busy, but I wanted to share a little secret with you.

When Seve and I were in Moscow, we went to visit the lock trees near Red Square. It's a tradition in Russia to leave a lock on a place of significance, with either your names inscribed on it or wedding vows or whatnot. The tradition isn't entirely romantic as some of the locks we saw had "BFF 4 EVAH" and "F U" kind of stuff written on them. The trees near Red Square get so loaded with locks that they're frequently chopped off (only to be refilled with hundreds more shortly thereafter) so it's not like your lock really lasts there forever - maybe a month? Nonetheless, Seve and I wanted to place a lock somewhere in Moscow. Sadly, we never got around to it.

My last week in Rexburg I was mourning the end of our time there, but in a happy way. Seve and I really grew to love that town. So my last night in our apartment I placed a lock on our balcony.
 
See the lock in the last photo?

I didn't have time to make our "inscription" extremely intricate. Everything we had was packed away for the move the next day, but I was able to dig out a permanent marker. The whole affair was like a closing ceremony to our time there. It was a little, silly thing, and I worry that the new tenants will likely discover it and have it chopped off (it's not exactly a tiny lock), but I like to hold my key and imagine our lock in Rexburg staying there forever.

2 comments:

  1. this is probably the sweetest, most sentimental thing ever and i love it and i love you guys. also, your cousin came into the store the other day and she was so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely! I want to leave a lock somewhere with our mark on it. Enjoy Boise! I really like it there, and I had a friend who lived there for years during college and absolutely loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete