1.09.2014

The Wall

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! I hope you all had good ones. Did you make any resolutions? Mine are simply to write more, complete last year's creative projects, and . . . eat food? Tone my butt? I don't know. Seve and I have talked about taking up slacklining.

I got an email recently from Goodreads congratulating me on another great year of reading and calculating my literary consumption of 2013 to be . . . 2 books. Now, I read voraciously in 2013, but I clearly never updated that to reflect on my Goodreads account. I'm not one to read or write reviews, but I do regret not at least keeping a log of the books I read.

I don't often recommend things either, but I will now: the other day I was loading up our Netflix account and a foreign film called "The Wall" popped up on my dash. I was immediately intrigued by its premise (A woman inexplicably finds herself cut off from all human contact when an invisible, unyielding wall suddenly surrounds the countryside). I started it right then and there instead of browsing to whatever it was I had originally wanted to watch. And I'm glad I did, as the film has stayed with me for days. It was sci-fi but not really? Not at all? YouTube markets it as scary, but it's not that either, not in the least. I won't tell you much more than that because after watching the film I looked up as much information on it as possible and sort of regret it because other people's interpretations have tainted that initial beautiful and immersing feeling I felt while watching it. Just know that it's beautiful, and immersing, and on Netflix, so go watch it right now.

Also, I recently learned to crack open an egg with one hand and I'm feeling terribly accomplished at the moment.

4 comments:

  1. I love it when you post.
    Maybe the moral of your movie experience is to write about how it made you feel before you read about what others thought? Now that I have some time on my hands, I need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to write more, too.


    And I'm really impressed with the whole egg thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So . . . we watched The Wall. I admit, I loved it and was so intrigued by the plot. But, and I hope this doesn't ruin it for anyone else--please make your own judgement, I was disappointed with the ending. I wanted MORE! It left me with so many questions.
    Congrats on the egg thing. I can't do that! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your wall. Washi tape for the win! I am still trying to figure out my resolutions for this year, but I really want to read more. I did not read as many books as I'd planned, and I feel like I missed out.

    ReplyDelete