1.17.2014

In The Dead Of


A lot of people don't like winter, and I respect that. It gets dark and dank and dreary. Muddy snow looks like snot. Driving is tricky. But summer's the season that makes me uncomfortable. Heat makes me slow down and feel lethargic. I hate sweating. I don't like being immersed in bodies of water, or the inevitable bareness of swimsuit attire. I don't like being without the security blanket my several layers of clothing provides. I prefer snowballs to water balloons, hot chocolate to lemonade, scarves to sunscreen.

This isn't to say I don't like summer, just that summer heat makes me feel uncomfortable and stupid, like I'm not enough of what the world wants me to be. Not sporty enough, not sexy enough, not drive-down-the-highway-with-the-top-down-and-your-hair-flying-around enough. I don't like my hair flying around.

Winter reminds me that I'm not actually the uncool shut-in summer makes me feel. I love being outside in the cold, bundled up and playing in the dead leaves or snow, stomping around in boots. I'm all about that.

But for everyone who's struggled this winter, and is looking forward to summer: I get it, I do. I hope the sunshine comes for you soon.

2 comments:

  1. I can appreciate this and I have trained myself to be indifferent to winter.
    I love summer. The sunshine makes the colors more vibrant. My feet aren't always cold, my nose doesn't always run. Summer, however, does make my feet puffy. Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your post because I agree with you. I like all seasons but in the summer I too feel like I'm not exactly what the world wants me to be... aka skinny. blonde. tan. Totally not me.

    ReplyDelete