10.11.2013

Summer Session's Over

Some shots of Seve's students from the production of Cartoon.

I've kept this blog quiet for a long time, but I think all my close online friends eventually wandered away from their blogs too, save a few. About a year ago I wrote a post on loneliness, and how it was kind of consuming me ever since we made the move to Twin Falls. But the truth is loneliness has always been a constant companion in my life, an ugly shoulder-angel that I'd ignore until it was the only thing I could see.

I've never taken medication for anxiety or depression because I've been afraid to, and I've only sought counseling once. It didn't go well. I showed up 20 minutes early to an empty office where the receptionist finally popped her head in 5 minutes past my scheduled time; while I was filling out paperwork the counselor came out, angry that I was "late" and kind of took it out on me during our session. I'd made her late for dinner, apparently.

I'm not one to put myself out there. As mentioned in an earlier post, I made a great friend but she moved away. We now have some cool neighbors across the hall, but I still feel life a goof in my attempts to relate to them. 

So this past year I turned to writing, and made my book characters my friends. Writing helps to turn my depression off, though I know it's not the permanent answer. But writing is something I can do well and feel comfortable in. I've had short stories published in the past and I've read at art festivals and literary conferences (though getting up in front of all those people made me want to throw up all over said people). I'm currently submitting to writing competitions and more publications in an attempt to make a name for myself, and one day get an agent for my novels.

Thus the revamping of my site, and return to blogging. I could simply have a cold, distant professional website for all this, but I'd rather have an open blog where I attempt to relate to people and hopefully they can relate to me. That's why I write, anyway. To find like-minded folks. 

6 comments:

  1. Loneliness is a very real thing, especially when you are a young mother of two babies. No matter how much you adore your babies, when they are young, they don't assuage that lonely feeling. It does get better as they get older though. Writing is a great way to keep yourself from falling into a slump. Keep it up! Or . . . call your mom, because now that she has an empty nest, she feels lonely too! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray and welcome back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're back! I have missed your wonderful blog. I'm glad that you've found writing helpful for your depression, but I'm so sorry that you're still feeling lonely. I think you know that I've suffered from depression for years and have gone off and on medication. If you ever need someone to talk to about this, I'm here. Hope you find the best solution for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lindsay! Do you know what I would give for you to live nearby?

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you are continuing this blog! I love reading about your thoughts on things. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete