11.17.2011

Yesteryear Demons




My mother-in-law recently left town and I miss her very much.

I always forget to take pictures of my outings, like Simon's first trip to the zoo and the so-so vegan restaurant Seve and I went to over the weekend (the smoothies were lukewarm. Like the Bible verse, I wanted to spit). But here's some shots of Simon's first bookstore, the Yesteryear Shoppe in downtown. We've been a few more times since and I'm quite sure he doesn't like it - he always fusses when we go, and instead seems to prefer the bookstore next door, Twice Told Tales. Perhaps there are demons in Yesteryear that only a keen innocent soul can sense? Or maybe it's just smelly.

On a not-related note, I'm finally getting a DSLR. Good friends, what cameras do you use, and are you happy with them? I'm buying used and currently looking at the entry level Nikon D3000 and a 50 mm f/1.8 lens. Thoughts? I want fuzzier backgrounds.

4 comments:

  1. That drippy book thing is really awesome.

    We have a Sony Alpha 230, and we love it. The pictures on my blog from your weekend visit are from that camera. It's simple to use, and high-end enough to have some cool features, but low-end enough to not break the bank.

    One thing about the 230 is that it doesn't have a "live" window...you actually have to look through the camera to take a picture, instead of just holding it up and having the picture show up on the screen while you're focusing/zooming/etc. Which I don't mind one bit, but its definitely a consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50mm is perfect for a good blurry background. Really the standard lens and that will set you up pretty well in my opinion. And my sister-in-law's sister-in-law, Katie (who I know to be a great photographer) guest posted on a blog the basics for camera settings, that I think really breaks it down beautifully:

    http://alemonsqueezyhome.blogspot.com/2011/11/photography-week-guest-post-katie.html

    I'm a Canon fan, but I have no beef with Nikon. And if you could use anything else let me know. It's kind of a hobby of mine to stockpile useless and/or useful information.

    ps- we miss you guys too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love our Canon T2i, and it's pretty affordable right now. Do it! You'll love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Canon Rebel (really any version is great, there is a new one that shoots video!!) and order this baby: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321772163&sr=8-1

    My first DSLR was a Nikon, albeit an older one, but I was never, ever happy with my photos. Nikon's auto settings take "cooler" photos but as far as I can tell, they take great photos too and are typically a little less expensive than a Canon.

    May I make one suggestion about buying used? (I bought my first Canon used) Put it on an non-auto setting and take a picture of the sky, if there is a lot of black spots (like more than... 10) the camera needs to be cleaned and ask them to knock $50 off the price. Older cameras get lots and lots of dust spots when people don't take care of their camera/lens, it can really start to effect your photos.

    This is all personal opinion, really.

    Novel. Gah.

    ReplyDelete