11.21.2011

and the Blood I Bleed

When I first heard this Animal Collective cover, I thought it was cute, but wasn't eager to download it. But now that life is a happy mix of just me and "my boys," I love to sing it to Simon as a lullaby. The cover is by Taken by Trees, the solo project of Victoria Bergsman (that girl who sang about not caring about the young folks with Peter Bjorn and John).

I know that for some, Animal Collective is that band with the freaky alien music video, but their latest album had a lot of beautiful lyrics, including this song about putting aside materialism, providing for your loved ones, and realizing what really matters in life and what you really need.

There isn't much that I feel I need
A solid soul and the blood I bleed
With a little Guy, and by my spouse
I only want a proper house


I don't care for fancy things
Or to take part in the freshest wave
But to provide for mine who ask
I will, with heart, on my father's grave


I don't mean to seem like I care about material things
Like a social status
I just want four walls and adobe slats for my boys


1 comment:

  1. I dig it. It's got a good ring to it. I can see it as a possible download. I can certainly see why it works as a lullaby.

    ReplyDelete