10.20.2009

Ghouls


My little Russian children are so funny. This is a fact I sometimes don't grasp until after teaching. Not as in, "teaching is so NUTS I just can't laugh whilst teaching" but as in I'm so absorbed with keeping the lesson on track I sometimes forget the funnyhahaness that comes with a language barrier.

Today during class Dasha accidentally spilled her water all over the October calendar I made for the month. I spent a long time on that thing, so my spirits dampened right along with the newly droopy drippy ghosts that graced that thing. Before I could let my disappointment show, the rest of the kids beat me to it. After a moment of shock, Elina uttered "No . . . the October . . ." and Senya whispered "Halloween . . . " as if the accident erased the holiday itself. Dasha started this very dramatic-for-a-7-yr-old silent and teary cry, face glowing red and head in her hands, so I gathered everyone in to give her a group hug while we mourned the loss of our favorite month.

Only now do I realize how funny that was. Ha! "The October . . ."

More cute news: world's most stylish bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment